Other forms of Urban prospecting tips...

Got a useful site or a handy tip, post it here!
Bman
Paid Member
Member Number: 53

Other forms of Urban prospecting tips...

#1 Post by Bman »

There is gold out there in some different locations other than the streams. Yes I am talking about the hidden locations that gold is setting in plain view sometimes. The search can often be as more rewarding than a good day working out on the creek.

Computers are a good comparison to a streambed, there are good spots and poor spots inside the area. There are many PM's in a PC, however the older models from the late 70's are a real find. Some will have solid gold pins in the processor bank. Think of the Commodore 64 type PC as a great find. Don't bother with the keyboard or monitor. Stripping it down and sorting the hardware is like concentrating the stream's gravel in a sluice bed. Sell the base metal scrap such as the metal box, aluminum heat sinks, copper and other recyclable material to the local recycling center. Sort and sell the hard drives, boards and processors to a refiner or scrap dealer. It is not advisable to attempt to refine the PM's from the PC scrap yourself. Make just a single mistake and you WILL pay for it with your health or life. The chemistry acids and other solvents and their resulting wastes, both the gaseous and liquid products are all potentially highly dangerous to life. Let the pro's do the refining. It's well worth what they get for doing the job.

Don't pay a lot for a modern PC, ask to look inside the case to make sure the unit has not been stripped already.

I will add to this list of ideas to check out over time.

Bman
Paid Member

Re: Other forms of Urban prospecting tips...

#2 Post by Bman »

Thrift Stores

Yes some of the items found here are just plain old junk, some are decent finds, and then there is the odd great find.

Let's take the example of an old bud vase offered for the grand sum of $0.50. ;)

The majority present are only worth what they are made of, but once in a while you might find an art piece pattern type such as "Weeping Gold" that is gilded in 18-22 Kt gold over 90% or more of it's exterior surfaces. Your bud vase in Weeping Gold style, depending on artistic desires and pottery maker, might yield 1 or more grams of pure gold in recovery of the PM's deposited on it. :shock: :o 8-) You will be paying almost nothing for 1/32nd of an troy oz or so!!!!!

Most pieces of this art form are not expensive for amount of gold on their surface. There are also silver and Platinum versions of this pattern as well.

Bman
Paid Member

#3 Post by Bman »

Garage sales

There are many garage sales throughout the year. Today I will focus on jewelry. Make sure you have a loupe or really good magnifier with you. Check out all the pieces available and look for hallmarks or a karat stamping on them. Sometimes you may find a plated piece indicator as well. A scales will help you to not overpay for the amount of gold therein. Mounted stones make the piece harder to value. Chains are real easy to value, if the hall marks are real. When in doubt an acid test kit helps to avoid over paying for plated items.

Older looking pieces are to be examined closely, as they may have dirt in the marks. Wear can also remove the hallmarks over time.

gemcitygirl
Paid Member
Member Number: 139

#4 Post by gemcitygirl »

Great information Bman. :o We'll be on the lookout. I love thrift stores. Tom... not so much. He might change his mind though, if I started bring home Gold.
Gem
"Life Is Too Important Too Take Seriously"

hillbilly
Paid Member
Member Number: 105

#5 Post by hillbilly »

Hey Bman

I followed your lead and picked up a couple vases covered with 22 kt gold.
What do I do to get gold off of them? Need an idea if its hard to do.

Hillbilly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*** GOODWILL ROCKS ***

Kevin
Site Admin
Member Number: 36

#6 Post by Kevin »

hillbilly wrote:Hey Bman

I followed your lead and picked up a couple vases covered with 22 kt gold.
What do I do to get gold off of them? Need an idea if its hard to do.

Hillbilly
I know you are still after that fricken ounce but I would keep those as they are.(JMO)
Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff

Gold Hoarder Jim
Member Number: 37

#7 Post by Gold Hoarder Jim »

hey Hillbilly if those are what I think they are by the Picture I will Pay you $50 min for the Vase & candy dish if that is what the one is. it is either a candy dish or sugar bowl. I don't want them for the gold I want them to keep I had a set 4 pcs 2 candle Holders and they got Burned up in a Building in the 80s. Thank You. Gold Hoarder Jim (according to size of the 2 pcs) Plus I think it would be Impossible to remove the gold without breaking the glass.

hillbilly
Paid Member

#8 Post by hillbilly »

Gold hoarder Jim

I guess I won't be recovering the gold off of these vases. I'll keep them for you if you like them. You can have them for whatever you think is a fair price, if it's what you're looking for. They are not really from a set. The bowl says hand-crafted in 24 kt gold on bottom The vase says Stouffer fine china on bottom. The bowl has some of the gold worn off in places. The vase is pretty but has chip near top. I only bought them to play with but if you would appreciate them they're yours. I bought these two pieces because they were the biggest for the buck. I paid $9.00 for both. I thought about picking up a set of candle holders but I can't remember what the price was for them, I was having a great day urban prospecting at a 4 story antique mall in East Liverpool OH. If I go back I could tell you what the candleholders cost. Call me at 304-670-4150 if I can help you out. Hillbilly
*** GOODWILL ROCKS ***

fifacoins07
Member Number: 0

#9 Post by fifacoins07 »

Most of these issues are generally exceptional conditioned on the overcome.

sonny
Member Number: 60

#10 Post by sonny »

I would disagree because of the condition it is hard to overcome the exceptional standard he has set forth. There for it is very hard to explain the basic optics that apply.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE ANGRY, BE HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

shepp
Paid Member
Member Number: 83

#11 Post by shepp »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
now that's funny
Where can you go and have this much FUN.
DUCT TAPE FOREVER

Cant fix stupid but duct tape will muffle it.

confucios says "you will be the first to know if you Fart in your waders"

hillbilly
Paid Member

#12 Post by hillbilly »

Well said.I second the motion.
*** GOODWILL ROCKS ***