Hand Dredge

Nothing beats the satisfaction of building your own gear!
MAIL MAN
Treasurer
Member Number: 55

Hand Dredge

#1 Post by MAIL MAN »

I was in the local Big Lots store yesterday and found a sucker tube intended for watering plants. I immediately saw the potential for turning it into a hand dredge. It has a nice handle and dual o-rings on the piston. This is what it originally looked like.

The original tip.

The o-rings on the piston and a good view of the clear plastic body.

The tip after it was cut. It now has about a 5/8" opening and is cut on an angle.

I haven't tried using it yet, but will post the results when I do.

Price $4.00
Tax $ .24
Total $4.24

Kevin P
There's no cure for Gold Fever, but the symptoms are treatable.

CreekCam
Paid Member
Member Number: 24

Re: Hand Dredge

#2 Post by CreekCam »

Brilliant! Sure hope it works - what a deal.

Kevin
Site Admin
Member Number: 36

#3 Post by Kevin »

went to my local big lots and they had absolutely none.
Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff

MAIL MAN
Treasurer

#4 Post by MAIL MAN »

After completing this project last summer the creeks remained at very low levels, making it very hard to test it in any of the places I thought would be best suited. The recent rains have made the DD hard to prospect, but made some of the other places I have permission to prospect perfect for using a hand dredge. I had used this a few times to make sure it worked , but had never given it a good workout until last Saturday. I spent several hours at a location that has lots of exposed bedrock and concentrated my efforts in the places that are left high and dry when the water is at lower levels.

It worked very well and improves with practice. I did get carried away 1 time and pulled the entire piston shaft assembly out of the body while using it in nearly a horizontal position. It took a few minutes to reassemble and get working smoothly. Occasionally a larger rock will get caught at the tip on the way out, but can usually be cleared by shaking or rotating the dredge 180 degrees while shaking it. This worked all but a half a dozen or so times when I had to poke the rock with my finger to free it. Overall I was very happy with the way it worked, but noticed it flexes and in your hands and imagine it is much more fragile than others made of schedule 40 material. The clear body makes it very easy to see the type and quantity of material you are getting. I found that there seemed to better gold in material that had muddy looking water with it. I could easily see when a spot had been cleaned out and I needed to move over.

Some of the gold , lead and wire I found in a pan of material. The gold was chunky and I only found a couple of pieces that I would call a speck.

I broke the screen on my camera that day, so I don't have a picture of the final cleanup.

Kevin P

CreekCam
Paid Member
Member Number: 24

#5 Post by CreekCam »

Great report - real happy to hear that this $4 marvel works! Here's the Gold-N-Sand link again - look at the middle of the three nozzles in the left column. Maybe you could do something like that to prevent most of the rock plug-ups.

http://gold-n-sand.com/#/gold-n-sand-pump/4536573307

MAIL MAN
Treasurer

#6 Post by MAIL MAN »

I knew from the start that this low dollar hand dredge was made of brittle plastic and would likely get broken. During a recent outing the tip cracked and started falling off in small pieces. I was able to repair it with some leftover parts from another project. I had a coupler and some 3/4" pvc that I was able to glue on the end to extend its life. The couplers inside diameter was turned on a 8 degree taper before it was glued. The pipe was left unglued so it can be removed when rocks get caught. It got tested on Saturday and still works very well.

Kevin P