Add a trap Fine gold collector

Nothing beats the satisfaction of building your own gear!
Bman
Paid Member
Member Number: 53

Add a trap Fine gold collector

#1 Post by Bman »

Here is the web page that I was talking about. The link should take you to the add a trap and it's general concept. In a further study of the information, the small holes for the water stiring pipe should be placed facing upwards to lift the lighter material and allow the heavier material to sink to the bottom of the trap for recovery. This is a fluid bed trap design. It should be about a $30 to $50 project to build with materials from the home supply store from parts. Do not forget to make a way to stop the floating gold from flushing out of the trap, half of a knockout plug will work for this. The water flow needed for the stir pipe should be just enough to sort the lighter and heavy fine materials, about 2 to 7 psi or so.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluic ... ice-5.html

If you use a pvc section fitting with a smaller side drain (3 or 4 inch by 1 1/2', a sanitary fitting) and test plug that fits the smaller downward facing opening, then the unit can be cleaned out without removing from the equipment. I would recommend the use of 1/16th inch punch plate for the screen on the trap, and there needs to be 6 to 8 inches of slick plate area, after the riffles and before the screen to allow the fine gold to settle down to be caught by the add a trap unit.

I will add some pictures of my version of the design as I assemble it.

This should help to capture more of the fine gold that is being lost over the end of everybody's equipment. It will take more classifing and other advanced methods to recover this fine micron sized gold, but that is a subject for another post.

Bman
Paid Member

Re: Add a trap Fine gold collector

#2 Post by Bman »

Btw, this trap will only need to be cleaned out when the accumulated heavies start to cover the stir pipe. This will allow you to run much longer with the gold recovery and not fear losing much of any values that are run thru your equipment.

BOONES
Paid Member
Member Number: 159

#3 Post by BOONES »

should work very good on my keene triple with a 6 in pipe for a trap.

Bman
Paid Member

#4 Post by Bman »

It has been noted that the bigger the size of pipe used to make the trap, the more heavies that will have to be sorted thru, while the amount of gold recovered stays the same. You should be able to run a little longer with the bigger trap before cleaning. So up to you.

BOONES
Paid Member
Member Number: 159

#5 Post by BOONES »

what did you use for the punch plate, where did you get it.

hillbilly
Paid Member
Member Number: 105

#6 Post by hillbilly »

Hey Bman

Thanks for the link for the fine gold trap.I wanted to try one but coulld not figure a good water supply from dredge moter setup.Highbankers have a hose line but my dredge did not.Here is my as of as of now untested water supply solution.Please keep us updated on your progress.I wish I could see more detail in some pictures.I,m trying to figure the whole thing out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*** GOODWILL ROCKS ***

hillbilly
Paid Member

#7 Post by hillbilly »

Got a couple traps made. Can't wait to try them out. I'll have them at Gold Rush if anyone is interested. Hope they work! Thanks again for the Treasurenet link Bman.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*** GOODWILL ROCKS ***

Bman
Paid Member

#8 Post by Bman »

It looks like that will work nicely for you to get the water supply,Hillbilly. there may be some issues when fine tuning the pressure to the trap, but it should work. You are thinking the same thing as I am for the water supply. You will want to greatly reduce the size of the expanded metal used for the grizzly for the trap, too many big stones will reduce the efficiency of the trap. (1/8" opening is about the most you will want, 1/16" would work much better. That is why I suggested punch plate.)

A pair of quick questions on your build...Did you cut out a inch wide slot across the other end cap to allow for a spillway out the top of that end cap, it should be about a half inch below the drop off from the top of the slick plate entrance of the trap? Your pictures only show the one end where the stir pipe hooks up to the water supply line. You can do both ends with the slot to reduce the speed of the discharging water to help keep more of the lighter gold.

This will give the lighter materials a place to discharge away from the tail end of the highbanker. It is inside this slotted end cap that the floating gold baffle needs to be installed. This should extend downward about halfway down the tube, going beneath the water level, into the body of the trap to work the best. This helps make the flowing water take a sharp angled turn to then exit the trap, thus dropping the potential very fine micron floating gold before the water flow exits the trap. This also allows for the testing to see if the trap is capturing the heavies correctly and not losing any gold.

Also is your stir tube about 1 inch off of the very bottom of the trap?

You will want just a rolling bubbling flow in the trap, not blasting out real strongly when it is in operation.

hillbilly
Paid Member

#9 Post by hillbilly »

Bman I drilled 4 rows of 1/8" holes, 2 rows aimed slightly down and 2 slighty up. I caulked and screwed the sloted end cap so it will come apart to drill different holes as needed. I really was a little confused on direction of holes.I can't find small punch plate and used some old gutterguard.This morning I replaced that with a $1.00 goodwill letter tray ($4.00 at ollies).
I need help on the baffle deal.
*** GOODWILL ROCKS ***

Bman
Paid Member

#10 Post by Bman »

Here is a crude diagram of the idea of the inner baffle for the retention of the floatable gold. I made it using paint program. It should clear up what I mean. Sorry to have missed seeing you at Gold Rush. Let me know how the gutter screening holds up under use.