Trip to Gold'n Gem Grubbin

Lots of minerals besides gold are valuable!
JDish
Webmaster
Member Number: 95

Trip to Gold'n Gem Grubbin

#1 Post by JDish »

I haven't been out a lot this year, but I got a chance to hit Gold'n Gem Grubbin in Cleveland, GA on the way back from our Gulf Beach Trip.
I put this in Rock Hounding, because I didn't find much gold at all, but holy cow on the gems. If I get a chance to get it all cleaned up, I'll post a pic, but I will say I was a bit disappointed in the Gold. We were running my highbanker and was really able to chew through the buckets. Lots of clay, I mean lots and a boil box was a necessity. Wish I would have taken some video of the unit running, worked really well and spit out the big gems right out the back.

They were digging in the pit when we were there, but none of the new dirt was put out at the creek yet. Early samples said that dirt was better as far as gold goes, but I didn't get ahold of any.

The wife enjoyed the gems though. Pic below is just 1 day's take, we were there for 2.
Amethyst, Garnet, Topaz, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Citrine, Smoky Quartz, Rutilated Quartz with beautiful gold rutile, Pyrite and some other stuff.
thumb_IMG_1183_1024.jpg
Biggest Ruby was 24g which if my calculations are correct, comes out to 120 carats. We ended up with over 400 carats of just rubies. The wife took one of the 42 carat ones, and a topaz and had the ring below make. Turned out pretty nice, center stone is 2.5 carat with 6 white topaz around it. She loves it which is the main thing!! My niece also got the pendant below made from an amethyst and it also turned out really nice.
thumb_IMG_1654_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_5637_1024.jpg
IMG_5636.JPG
I also ran into Doc from Gold Hog the 2nd day we were there. He gave me some panning lessons at the creek and hung out for a little while. It was really cool meeting him!!
thumb_IMG_4987_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8218_1024.jpg
If anyone is planning a trip or thinking about heading down to this area, you have to check out this place. People are outstanding, gems are awesome, gold is hit or miss but I think I would have done better with a dredge.

See Ya
Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kevin
Site Admin
Member Number: 36

Re: Trip to Gold'n Gem Grubbin

#2 Post by Kevin »

Sounds like a good time, I'm glad the Wife had fun because you have to keep the boss happy.
Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff

MAIL MAN
Treasurer
Member Number: 55

#3 Post by MAIL MAN »

Nice that the wife liked the place enough to get in a second trip ! Wish I had made time to go there on my trip to the Loud Mine last year. Did you go up the road to check out the Loud Mine property Jay?

Kevin P
There's no cure for Gold Fever, but the symptoms are treatable.

JDish
Webmaster

#4 Post by JDish »

Drove by the Loud Mine both days, but didn't stop in. I didn't realize it was so close until we drove by or I would have worked in into the plans. Maybe next year.

See Ya
Jay

MAIL MAN
Treasurer
Member Number: 55

#5 Post by MAIL MAN »

Did you go to the gold museum, Consolidated Gold Mine and/or the Crisson Gold Mine in Dahlonega?

Kevin P
There's no cure for Gold Fever, but the symptoms are treatable.

JDish
Webmaster

#6 Post by JDish »

I've been to Crisson on a past trip, wanted to go to the gold museum but it closed too early and the wife had me slingin buckets until gold n gems closed. Didn't go to consolidated, wanted to but the wife wanted more gems!! My dad lives about 40 miles from that area so we are already planning our next trip next year. Need to build me a 4 in by then :)

buzmite67
Paid Member
Member Number: 230

#7 Post by buzmite67 »

Hey , we were just up from in the creek on Friday. My son Jarrett came down and talked a bit with you. We too did not find much gold and who knows how many gems went by before we got a good understanding of the gems. Hope to get back this fall.

Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.