We Always Called 'Em Goat Horns...

Lots of minerals besides gold are valuable!
CreekCam
Paid Member
Member Number: 24

We Always Called 'Em Goat Horns...

#1 Post by CreekCam »

...but I guess they're really Horn Coral. These were found on my family's farm in Butler County, Ohio, between Germantown and Trenton. I'm curious to know whether or not you find them in your county...as I have no idea their range. I know I do not find them in Athens County.

Goldenrod
Paid Member
Member Number: 49

Re: We Always Called 'Em Goat Horns...

#2 Post by Goldenrod »

yeah use to find them all the time, by the way that is part of my old stomp'n ground maybe we have met before. My great uncle had a farm out on howe road that i have been try'n to get permission to get back on. Plus I have hunted on a couple of farms on trenton franklin near poasttown.

CreekCam
Paid Member

#3 Post by CreekCam »

Yep, we were very close to one another. Our family farm is on Hetzler Road at the end of Brown's Run Road. The other end of Brown's Run hits Trenton-Franklin Road. The lower third of Brown's Run creek has some great fossil beds.

Nuggethead
Paid Member
Member Number: 22

#4 Post by Nuggethead »

Are those smooth all the way down? or do they have rings in them. Someone showed me something like that but it was smooth and all one color and they said they were told it was a tip of a sabor tooth tiger. I know nothing about this stuff I believed him but he said it was down around the Ohio river
OSPA GPAA

Goldenrod
Paid Member

#5 Post by Goldenrod »

yeah there is one farm that is on the corner of trenton franklin and of course the name escapes me right now, but his house in level with the road but the rest is all up on the higher plateau behind it and i tried for years to get access but he always said no and threatened to sic his dogs on me. I knew of to many people that snuck on his property is why i guess. I always try to respect peoples property.

CreekCam
Paid Member

#6 Post by CreekCam »

I've never thought of them as having rings, but there is some color variation within them and between them. I guess no two are identical.

Nuggethead
Paid Member
Member Number: 22

#7 Post by Nuggethead »

Thanks Creek Cam after looking at them I think someone was pulling my leg and maybe his. If I remember correctly the shape was the same but the fossil was one color no spots or ring. When I see him again I am going to have to ask him about this :?:
OSPA GPAA

MAIL MAN
Treasurer
Member Number: 55

#8 Post by MAIL MAN »

I haven't found any while prospecting yet. I do remember that my Grandpa had a farm in eastern Brown county when I was young and there was a large pile of them, that he had found in the fields, laying near his well. He also had a large collection of arrow heads, but kept them in the house.

Kevin P
There's no cure for Gold Fever, but the symptoms are treatable.

swtinnct
Member Number: 0

#9 Post by swtinnct »

I find them in Clermont County.....Also find cephalopods.......has anyone found any cephalopods?
I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

Goldenrod
Paid Member

#10 Post by Goldenrod »

not yet

MAIL MAN
Treasurer
Member Number: 55

#11 Post by MAIL MAN »

I have found a few while prospecting in Clermont and Brown counties. This is a picture of one of them along with some nice Brachiopods.

http://www.ospagold.com/ospaforum/downl ... .php?id=49

My favorite are the geodized Brachiopods found near the Double D claim.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt68/ww1053/042.jpg

Kevin P
There's no cure for Gold Fever, but the symptoms are treatable.

swtinnct

#12 Post by swtinnct »

Love the geo-brac's! Looks like you got some calcite in there which is really cool!!! I found my largest Ceph in the creek across from house ...its about 4" in length and approx. 2" dia. would love to post a pic of it but only have my camera phone :(
I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

MK111

#13 Post by MK111 »

I find a lot of the horn coral in my creek. But hey I am in Butler County also about 2 miles north of Millville.
I think I am getting permisson to gold prospect on Four Mile Creek just outside of Seven Mile,OH. I believe Flourchild told me in the past that Four Mile Creek was a glacier runoff. Will see when the weather breaks.

CreekCam
Paid Member

#14 Post by CreekCam »

I did a couple of hours of prospecting on 4 Mile Creek near Darrtown last summer and did find some colors. Really needed a crevice tool and sucker tube that day, as there was lots of cracked bedrock. That creek definitely has some potential.
See my trail cam photos at www.riggershop.blogspot.com