Fossil Park in NW Ohio

Lots of minerals besides gold are valuable!
Bman
Paid Member
Member Number: 53

Fossil Park in NW Ohio

#1 Post by Bman »

I found a place up near Toledo that is a fossil collectors dream. It's called Fossil Park and they truck in broken shale rock from the local quarry for the public to go thru. It is one of only 2 Devonian collecting sites in the world of this type. Yes, you can find trilobites in the matrix, along with corals, braciopods (shellfish), and other undersea lifeforms. There is a chance to find crystal/pyrite formations as well, but these are rare...and I found some on the visit.

Stopped there the other day and in about 1 and a half hours got a number of nice loose specimens from the piles and a few more still in the host rock that need cleaned up. No tools are allowed in the park, except for an old toothbrush to clean the piece up in the water tank. They recommend that teachers use table strength vinegar in the classroom for the final clean up and presentation.

Did I mention that there is no charge for admission or to collect, no limit to the fossils you are allowed to keep, and it's in a carved out spot right near the quarry? Great place to take kids as well. If you plan to be there for a while you might want to take something to drink, as there are restrooms nearby, but no water fountains.

here is the website: http://www.olanderpark.com/pages/Fossil.htm

Bman
Paid Member
Member Number: 53

Re: Fossil Park in NW Ohio

#2 Post by Bman »

Going to drop around here before I come down to the next meeting this weekend.