Sluice boxs

carver
Member Number: 0

Sluice boxs

#1 Post by carver »

I noticed some sluice boxes have a wider opening than others (14 inch or 19 inch flare) and the length varies (24 - 40 inches) and most are 7 inches wide. How should I decide which one is right for me? I missed seeing a sluice in operation while at the Hog Roast.

Cindy
"the meanderer"

Gold Hoarder Jim
Member Number: 37

Re: Sluice boxs

#2 Post by Gold Hoarder Jim »

HI Cindy, the sluice box works by the water running thru the Flare end the bigger the flare the more water hence the better the sluice works especialy in (ohio) and other states that have slow moving water, running a sluice box I think it's best to classify all material down to atleast 1/8" the smaller the materal the better it works, My and the Clubs Friend and a Member of the OSPA Bill & Shelly Webb (http://www.buckabillysluice.com) Make the Best Sluice Boxs (I dont Think I'm not going out on a Limb by saying The Best in the World) for Ohio and all states that have slow moving water also the Fast water in Mountain Country. Most if not all Company's that make Sluice Boxs suggest a drop of 1" per Lin Foot of the Box I Personly use what ever drop that works best for the Creek or River that I happen tobe working be it 1" per foot or 1/4" PF, the Flare needs to gather the Water from both sides of the Box forming a V shape in the center of the Flare (for Maxium Force) which washes the small rocks and other light Materal down over the Riffles and over the Rubber Mat & Miners Moss Collecting the Gold and Black sand and any other Heavy materia like Lead Buck shot this is also a Great way to tell if it is set up Right and if you hold the lead shot it will Hold the Gold Because Gold is 2 time the weight of Lead Plus if there gold in a creek or River the Gold and Lead will be together where the Lead drops the Gold also Drops in and Water source . I could go on and on But it would be better to go on to Buckabillysluice site and talk to Bill or Shelly they will be more then Happy to Help you, But if you are at 1 of our Claims and Im there or any other Member we will be more then Happy to help you out. so until later. Jim M. ps My spelling is not the best so I hope you will for give me Im trying to set up Spell Check on here we did have it But Im so Dumb I can't spell (SPELLCHECKER)

ohiorocks
Paid Member
Member Number: 22

#3 Post by ohiorocks »

I've often have wounder that my self. for us it seems the wider opening(flare) gives you a bigger area to drop your dirt but, it seem to be more of a challenge to get the water moving right. I've found the small one I have without the flare on the front, gets the water moving the right way easier. It's all about the flow. I'm by no means an expert but hopefully buckabilly will answer.

carver

Re: Sluice boxes

#4 Post by carver »

Thank you Jim and Joy

I checked out Buckabilly's site and that's what started my mind rolling with the questions. I missed watching the demonstrations with the machines Saturday morning. We didn't arrive until the afternoon.

Thank you both for teaching me along with Bman how to shift, swirl and dip the green and blue pans. Jeff and I haven't had time to do the concentrate we brought home.

Off to watch YouTube to learn more.

Cindy

DAVESTONES

#5 Post by DAVESTONES »

I got a Buckabilly sluice and I can't recomend them enough! They can really work fantastic with great craftsmanship. Bill and Shelly are a couple of the nicest people behind a super product! :D
Even the most knowledgable prospector started out knowing nothing.

hunter434
Paid Member
Member Number: 10

#6 Post by hunter434 »

DAVESTONES wrote:I got a Buckabilly sluice and I can't recomend them enough! They can really work fantastic with great craftsmanship. Bill and Shelly are a couple of the nicest people behind a super product! :D
Will said Dave.Bill and Shelly are super people.

Mark
"Those Tin Panners has got a go" Pale Rider