Any good creeks in S. Ohio, east of Cincy?

Time And Date And Place Of Next Meeting!
Moegano
Paid Member
Member Number: 268

Any good creeks in S. Ohio, east of Cincy?

#1 Post by Moegano »

Hello All,

I am near Portsmouth, OH and I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of good dredging rivers or creeks in Southern Ohio, east of Cincinnati? I really like Bills and DoubleD, I am just looking for something a little closer that I could dredge after work when it warms up.

Thanks,
Moe

MAIL MAN
Treasurer
Member Number: 55

Re: Any good creeks in S. Ohio, east of Cincy?

#2 Post by MAIL MAN »

Moe, Have you been to the GPAA's Lewis Claim on state route 104 just north Portsmouth? The Tri-State chapter uses the claim and holds monthly meetings there. Several Tri-State members are also OSPA members,including several previous and current presidents. Of course you would need to join the GPAA to use the claim if you aren't already a member. Rushtown is just south of the claim and was probably named after gold was discovered there.I have been there several times and was able to find some small thin flakes of gold each time. The river is prone to flooding and this USGS water gauge http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv?site_no=03237020 can give you an idea of when to avoid the claim because of high water.

I have never prospected as far upstream as Portmouth on the Ohio River, but have found gold as far east as the islands at Manchester in the river. So don't rule out the Ohio River as a possible place to prospect if you can find a public entry point or landowner willing to let you try prospecting. Thin layers of glacial till and black sand laying right on the clay bank at the waters edge seem to hold the most gold.

Do you have any friends or neighbors that work at one of the gravel mines in your area? The tailings and runoff from the rock cleaning equipment at a pit mine could be a good place to prospect.

Do you know anyone that lives in the Teays River Valley northeast Portsmouth? Small streams cutting through the valley could be a good place to prospect. There's a road called Gravel Washer Rd north of state rt 32 that was likely named for gravel washing prospectors rather than people who liked their gravel clean.

It would seem there is a fair amount of gold prospecting history and potential in your area.

Kevin P
There's no cure for Gold Fever, but the symptoms are treatable.

Moegano
Paid Member

#3 Post by Moegano »

Thanks! That is great info!

I have never made it to Lucas ille or the Lewis claim.

I have heard that the gold is "chunkier" and more abundant the closer you get to Cincinnati. Do you agree?

Moe

MAIL MAN
Treasurer

#4 Post by MAIL MAN »

I have never had trouble finding gold at the Lewis Claim, but the gold has always been very small. I have heard that they were finding bigger gold after the huge floods they had a few years ago, but I havn't been there in several years so I can't say. In my experience the gold is chunkier east of Cincinnati.

Kevin P

Moegano
Paid Member

#5 Post by Moegano »

Any good creeks in Hamilton?

MAIL MAN
Treasurer

#6 Post by MAIL MAN »

Hamilton the city or Hamilton County? The Great Miami River runs past Hamilton the city and does have gold in very small flakes, much like the gold I have found at the Lewis Claim. I haven't prospected that valley much so I don't know where to find the bigger gold.

The Little Miami River dumps into the Ohio River in Hamilton County. I have been in several of its tributaries and do find chunkier gold in them.

Kevin P

Moegano
Paid Member

#7 Post by Moegano »

I should have said Hamilton County.

Thank You so much for the info!

Moe